Sunday, June 12, 2016

Safari

We traveled a few hours to get to the Tuli Lodge, a piece of paradise. We arrived to be greeted by the staff with complimentary drinks. The rooms were incredible, I felt so privileged. We wake up at 600 for tea time, 630 early morning safari, then lunch, free time, evening safari dinner and bed. It's been pretty typical to be on this schedule, days are starting even earlier as this trip progresses. This trip has just made me feel so exhausted each morning, but refreshed by night. It is just such a magical thing to watch these beautiful animals roam and run free. Every piece of wild life just looked so beautiful. Every afternoon safari we toasted at sunset at a different spot. The sunset is just breathtaking. After sunset we continued the safari. You'd think being right next to a lion pack and hyenas in an open top truck would be frightful but they had no interest in us. Hyenas walked right up to the jeep and walk around, sniffed our tracker's shoes, and just walked around. On the first day we saw lots of Giraffes, Zebras and Impalas. The second day we saw huge fields of elephants, warthogs, guinea hens, various birds, dassies, wildabeast, etc. ! On our last day we found the lions. So cool to watch them in nature. I feel so happy to fulfill Poppops dream to go on safari even though he didn't get the chance. He would have loved it!

On our last night we had dinner on open fire. It was such a magical night,  I hope to never forget. It was my friend Abby's birthday and they had all the staff come and sing and dance for her. Their voices were so unbelievably beautiful. African music and dance just fills you up with goose bumps and a warm heart. Most of us were in tears listening and watching, knowing this trip was coming to a close. We've had so many ups and downs, learned so much, gone on adventures and grown as individuals. We've created such a strong bond as classmates I cannot wait to see what the future holds. It is so cool to just appreciate life in its simplicity out in the "bush", to see how animals cooperate together for survival. Darwin's theory is just primarily focused on the survival of the fittest, but we neglect to learn about how competitiveness falls short to cooperation. To witness the "circle of life"and its beauty. I just keep typing and erasing because I don't think I have the words to capture how amazing this safari has made me feel. I think some things are better in the mind than on paper. All I know is that South Africa has a very special place in my heart, and I'm so grateful to have had this opportunity.  I went to South Africa anticipating to help those struggling poor sickly people you read and see on advertisements. Yet, if anything I feel like we've been the ones who have been helped. To see life for what it really easy, breakaway from the stresses of a fast pace lifestyle. WE were looking at them trying to help them become a part of our lifestyle, that we failed to see that they were looking at us trying to help us live more simply. How sad it is that we stress of extraneous things, eating disorders, drug abuse, big pharma, mental illness, therapy consuming our every day lives. What if we didn't have such a big pedestal to compare to? What if our biggest worry was food, water and shelter? Never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted to have experienced and learned what I have. I'm forever grateful to be able to have learned some life lessons from these people. I hope one day I can return the favor!

Hakuna Matata











Sorry I've been so busy with traveling most of my blog is written very late at night, but I'm trying to keep you posted.  I promise when I get back in the states I'll upload more pictures and videos, but time is just so precious here and I'm trying to soak it all in.
Love and miss you all!!



No comments:

Post a Comment